This grilled red wine chicken is one dish that is bold and full of flavor yet still deeply comforting just as a traditional roast chicken.
The chicken is juicy and mouth-watering with a really hearty aroma that will fill your whole house. Now this is a recipe you will probably mark as a favorite!
- 5 lb whole chicken
- 1 cup red wine/ Pinot Noir
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 1 lemon quartered
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, minced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Tuck the chicken wings underneath the breast and stuff the chicken cavity with the rosemary and thyme sprigs, onion and lemon. Then tie the chicken legs together with kitchen twine.
- In a bowl, add in the red wine, butter, garlic, paprika, minced thyme, rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well to combine.
- Loosen the skin of the chicken breast and rub the butter mixture all over the chicken, both on the outside of the chicken and underneath the skin.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and put in the oven. Cook for about 80 minutes. Baste the chicken with the cooking liquid chicken every 30minutes. If the chicken skin is getting overly dark, cover the chicken with foil.
- The chicken is ready after 80 minutes, or when a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 74°C.
- Allow the chicken to sit for 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve with pan drippings and enjoy.