This white cake recipe yields you a cake that is soft, light, moist, and topped with a yummy vanilla buttercream frosting. It is certain to be a hit with all your loved ones.
Be sure to bring all of your ingredients, the egg whites, butter and buttermilk to room temperature before getting started.
You can use all-purpose flour but I highly recommend using cake flour since the cake flour has a lower protein content than all-purpose flour which creates a soft, fine crumb.
For the white cake:
- 2 ¾ cups (305 grams) cake flour, spooned & leveled
- 1 ¾ cup (350 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (230 grams) unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk room temperature
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract or pure vanilla extract
For the vanilla buttercream frosting:
- 1 and ½ cups (340 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 and ½ cups (540 grams) powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract or pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
To make the white cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray two 9-inch cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt then set aside.
- Combine the buttermilk and vanilla extract in a measuring cup and stir until well combined the set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, (or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer), cream together the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar in three additions alternating with the buttermilk mixture (begin and end with the dry ingredients) on low speed. Mix in each addition until just combined. Be keen not to over mix the batter.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until the form stiff peaks. Gently fold half of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining egg whites until just combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pans and spread around into one even layer. Gently tap the cake pans on the counter a couple times to release any air bubbles.
- Place in the oven and bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the vanilla buttercream frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth.
- Then add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time, making sure to mix well after each addition.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, and salt and mix on medium speed until fully combined.
To assemble the cake:
- Level the tops of each cake with a knife.
- Place one of the cakes on a cake stand, top with a layer of frosting, and smooth it out into one even layer. Place the second layer on top, then use the remaining frosting to frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Serve and enjoy.