Turmeric milk, also known as Golden milk is a vibrant golden-colored hot beverage which is also considered an Ayurvedic medicine.
This beverage is traditionally made by heating up milk with turmeric, however it is common to find variations that contain a few other spices like cinnamon and ginger and some sort of sweetener.
Turmeric milk is touted for its many health benefits. Its used as a remedy to boost immunity and stave off illness. It has anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants that boost brain and heart health, stronger bones and improved digestion. It is also a well-known home remedy for cough, congestion and colds.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup (you can adjust sweetness to your preference)
- pinch of black pepper
- Put the milk in a small pan then add in the turmeric powder, cinnamon powder, ginger powder, honey and black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer on low heat and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Take it off the heat and strain into cups. sprinkle a small pinch of cinnamon powder on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Note: Aside from turmeric powder, the other spices are entirely optional, and you can adjust to suit your preference.
Turmeric milk can also be made in advance and stored in your refrigerator for up to 5 days.