This tender, pillowy castella cake is extremely soft, fluffy and full of egg flavor. This classic and delicious cake is popularly known for its very smooth surface, without any crack.
To achieve a smooth surface, the most important thing to remember is the baking temperature. The cake is baked at a very low temperature (about 150°C) for an hour all while a water bath which helps the cake cook gently.
Aside from that, beating the egg whites correctly is dire. Simply beat the egg whites to a stiff peak and fold it into the batter very gently to avoid breaking all the air bubbles.
- 100 g cake flour/ all-purpose flour
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 100 ml milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Line a 18cm square cake pan with parchment paper
- Sift the cake flour into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add in the milk and butter then place over low heat, until the butter is melted completely.
- Pour the milk/butter mixture into the sifted flour and whisk together until well combined.
- Add in the egg yolks one by one, mixing after each addition until well incorporated.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix well then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy, then add in the sugar and keep beating until still peaks are formed.
- Pour the first mixture into the egg white mixture and gently fold it in.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking tin, level the surface using a spatula and tap the cake tin on a work surface a few times to release the air bubbles.
- Put the cake tin in a larger baking sheet, then pour hot water, about 80°C, into it to make a water bath. Pop into the oven and bake for about 60 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven, tap the cake tin a few times, this can prevent the cake from shrinking. You can eat it while still warm or you can let it cool completely then slice it.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Joy WeikleAugust 19, 2020 at 7:13 am
Looking for easy recipes for meals, desserts and muffins !