These tasty sweet potato wedges are crispy on the outside and soft and full of spicy flavor on the inside. To ensure you get a crispy outside, soak them in water first for over an hour. This draws out excess starch from the sweet potatoes and guarantees the crispy edges you want without having to crank up your oven heat and risk burning them.
Also, baking the sweet potato wedges on greased, preheated baking sheets/trays ensures they start sizzling immediately.
These delicious sweet potato wedges make for an amazing side dish, appetizer, or snack.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- Sea salt, to taste (after baking)
- Thoroughly wash the sweet potatoes, then slice in half, then into wedges.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl with cold water and let them soak for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Lightly grease 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking oil spray or brush with oil. Place baking sheets into the oven to preheat. Place oven racks to the upper level of your oven.
- Drain the wedges and pat dry with paper towels.
- Add the corn starch into a large zip-lock or plastic bag. Add the wedges, seal the bag with air in it and shake vigorously to evenly coat.
- Using tongs, transfer the coated wedges into a large bowl, shaking off the excess starch.
- Drizzle the sweet potato wedges with the oil and all the seasonings except the salt. Then toss well to evenly coat.
- Carefully remove preheated oven trays from the oven and arrange wedges in a single layer with at least 1cm between them.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Remove trays from the oven and test wedges with a fork. If they are just tender, flip them into a single layer again with plenty of space between them. Return wedges to the oven and bake for a further 5-10 minutes, until tender-crisp.
- Turn oven heat off the oven and leave the oven door ajar allowing the wedges to dry out slightly and crisp up in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle wedges with salt to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.