This flavorful orange cake is so soft, moist and bursting with refreshing citrusy fragrance. This simple orange cake recipe is easy to make and only gets better over time.
I highly recommend using fresh oranges for this cake. Using fresh citrus really helps the flavor burst through in every slice.
A helpful hack I realized is that it is much easier to zest the oranges before juicing them.
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour (265g)
- ¾ cup sugar (165g)
- 1¼ sticks butter, softened (141g)
- 90ml orange juice (3 oz)
- Zest from 1 orange
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup milk (120ml)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease and flour an 8-in x 4-in loaf pan or an 8-inch baking tin.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda, then set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until well combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture, half of the milk, and half of the orange juice, then beat on low speed.
- Then add in the remaining flour mixture, milk, and orange juice and beat until combined.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the orange zest.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. (If the top is browning quickly while baking, cover loosely with aluminum foil.)
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy.