This delicious moist and tender honey lemon syrup cake is the ideal cake to enjoy alongside a cup of coffee, tea or even juice.
The lemon and honey flavors mix well in perfect harmony. Neither flavor overpowers the other, but each is distinct in every bite.
This cake is sweet, dense, and delicate and has a rich taste but also it is so easy to make!
- 225g Butter (1 Cup)
- 60g Powdered Sugar (½ Cup)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 100g Ground Almonds (1 cup)
- 185g Semolina (1 cup)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
For the Syrup:
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar (100g)
- ½ Cup Water (125ml)
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Springs of Thyme
- Lemon Peel
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter and dust with a little flour all over the pan, then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, measure out the dry ingredients, the ground almonds, semolina, baking powder, salt and lemon zest and mix until combined. Then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well in between each addition until they are fully combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add in the honey and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Then pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet and use a spatula or a wooden spoon to fold everything together until just combined.
- Pour the batter in the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- To make the syrup, add the sugar, honey, lemon, thyme and water into a small saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and use a toothpick or a skewer to pierce holes throughout the cake.
- Pour the syrup over the cake then place the cake back into the oven for another 10 minutes to absorb up all of the syrup.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack before serving with a dollop of yoghurt.
- Serve and enjoy.