This simple and easy to follow recipe makes the most tender, moist and delicious banana muffins. The muffins are then drizzled with a sweet caramel icing that makes them decadent.
The muffins taste fantastic on their own and don’t even need the frosting, but it’s very good and certainly sets them apart from other banana muffin recipes. So I highly recommend preparing your caramel icing as well.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line jumbo muffin cups with paper cases and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Then beat in the egg until well combined.
- Add in the bananas and vanilla and beat well, and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture into the creamed mixture until just moistened. Be keen not to over-mix.
- Fill the paper-lined jumbo muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for about 5 minutes before removing them from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the icing:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the brown sugar and milk and bring to a boil.
- Allow to cool slightly then beat in the confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
- Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag, cut a small hole in a corner of bag and drizzle over muffins.
- Serve and enjoy.