Pastry cream is the delicious custard used to fill eclairs, cream puffs, tarts, and pretty much just anything you want. This pastry cream is so silky, perfectly sweet and flavored with vanilla.
It’s very easy to make but comes out absolutely delicious every single time.
This recipe only uses the yolks in your eggs but don’t worry, you can use the remaining egg whites to make this yummy angel food cake.
- 2/3 cup sugar (135g)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter (15g), cold
- 2 cups whole milk (473ml)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (37g)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- Begin by cutting the vanilla bean lengthwise, then use a spoon to scrape the seeds out.
- Then add the vanilla bean and milk into a medium saucepan, then place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Immediately turn off the heat and set aside to infuse for about 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the cornstarch and whisk until smooth and there are no lumps.
- Add in ¼ cup of the hot milk mixture and whisk until well incorporated then add in the remaining hot milk mixture and mix well again, reserving the saucepan.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer back into the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and slowly boiling.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter then allow to cool slightly.
- Cover with plastic wrap, lightly pressing the plastic against the surface to prevent the formation of skin on top.
- Chill for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve. The custard can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Refrigerate until 1 hour before using.
LathaJuly 9, 2020 at 8:04 am
Very nice recipes mam, but I can’t get some of the ingredients but looking at the recipes very delicious.