Now I know the idea of having vegetables in your cake may not sit well with the kids, but I promise they won’t even know it unless you tell them.
This beetroot and chocolate cake is delicious, moist and healthy as it is loaded with nutrients. Adding the beetroot gives this cake moisture, a yummy red color and blends perfectly with cocoa powder and the indulgent dark chocolate. However, the beetroot flavor is very subtle.
Aside from the fact that this yummy cake is low in sugar, the beetroots also pack in lots of essential nutrients, are a great source of fiber, folate (vitamin B9), manganese, potassium, iron, and vitamin C. Beetroots have also been associated with numerous health benefits, including improved blood flow, lower blood pressure, and increased exercise performance.
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour (170 grams)
- 2 medium beets, cooked (200 grams)
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened (20 grams)
- ½ (50 grams) 70% or 85% dark chocolate bar (optional)
- ½ cup sugar(100 grams)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (80 grams)
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 360°F.
- Grease or line a 8.6 x 4 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt then set aside.
- Place the beetroots, egg, sugar, oil, vanilla essence, and cocoa powder into a food processor and blend into a smooth consistency.
- Add the flour mixture in two batches, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.Blend only for a few seconds until the flour is just combined. Be keen not to over-mix.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan, level the top.
- Place in the middle shelf of the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or into a heatproof bowl placed over a pan of barely simmering water and allow the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Once melted leave it to set until a bit firm, but still runny. Remove your cake from the pan and decorate with the runny dark chocolate sauce.
- Serve and Enjoy.