These yummy treats take a short time and little effort, but the results are amazing! These biscuits are buttery and flaky with tiny light multiple layers that literally just melt in your mouth.
Be sure to use cold pieces of butter in your dough so that when the biscuits are baking, the butter melts and creates steam pockets, which results in a soft, light, airy texture in the biscuits.
You can enjoy the biscuits warm as they are or brush them with melted butter or honey when you take them out of the oven.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup butter, chilled (180g)
- 1 ¼ cup chilled buttermilk (300ml)
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- Then grate in the frozen butter into the flour mixture. (Grating ensures the fat is evenly distributed throughout the dough.)
- Make a well in the center of the bowl and add in the buttermilk and stir with until it forms a rough ball. Be keen not to over mix.
- Put it in the refrigerator and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Then turn the dough out onto a floured board or surface and knead about 3-4 times, just enough for it to come together. Do not overwork the dough as this will result in tough, hard, and flat biscuits.
- Gently, pat the dough to about ½ ″ thick. Fold the dough repeating the folding process about 6-8 times. This ensures flakiness.
- After folding is complete gently press the dough down to 1 inch thick.
- Use a 2-inch round cookie cutter, or a glass to cut out the biscuits, and space them out equally across your prepared baking sheet. (Don’t Twist the biscuit cutter, simply press the cutter down into the dough firmly. Twisting will seal off the biscuit edges, preventing the biscuits from rising)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for about 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- When done, lightly brush with butter/honey.
- Serve and enjoy
Patricia SalleeJuly 26, 2021 at 12:53 am
All of the food looks so delicious I can’t wait to try some of the recipe