This delicious double chocolate pound cake is so rich and buttery with an enticing chocolate flavor. The moist cake also boasts of a soft and dense texture then it’s topped with a thick chocolate glaze.
When its well wrapped, this cake will keep for up to four to five days at room temperature. It can also be frozen for a couple of months.
- 1 ½ cups (180 grams) cake flour
- 1 ¼ cups (250 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 cup (225 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (25 grams) unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (60 ml) boiling hot water
- 2 tablespoons milk, at room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons (6 grams) pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) salt
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 3 ounces (90 grams) semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey (or light corn syrup, golden syrup)
- 2 tablespoons (25 grams) butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Butter a 9 x 5 inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the cocoa powder in the boiling water until the cocoa powder has dissolved, then set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Then in a different bowl, sift together the cake flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer), beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat, on medium-high for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the cooled cocoa mixture.
- Adjust the mixer to low speed, add the flour mixture in two additions along with the milk in one addition and mix until just combined.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 55 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake just comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 15-20 minutes. Run a spatula or knife around the inside of the pan and then remove the cake from the pan, peel off the parchment paper, re-invert, and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate, butter, and honey in a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool until it thickens to pouring consistency.
- Pour the glaze over the top of the cooled cake, letting the glaze flow down the sides.
- Serve and enjoy.
Travis WebbJuly 31, 2020 at 2:42 pm
I can’t wait to make that chocolate pound cake