Flan also known as or caramel custard/ crème caramel is a delightful custard dessert with a layer of caramel sauce.
If you are looking to treat yourself or your loved ones to an unforgettable dessert, then this is the recipe for you.
You can top off your caramel flan with berries, toasted nuts or toasted coconut. To store it, simply cover it tightly and refrigerate it for up to 4 days.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the water and sugar into a heavy saucepan, and cook over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes until melted and golden. (You can brush down crystals on the side of the pan with additional water as necessary.)
- Immediately pour into an ungreased 2-qt. round baking pan or soufflé dish, tilting to coat the bottom then let stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add in the eggs, 1 at a time, and beat after each addition until well combined.
- Add in the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract and mix well. Then pour the mixture over the caramelized sugar.
- Place the dish in a larger baking pan. Pour boiling water into the larger pan to a depth of 1 in. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the center is just set (the mixture will jiggle)
- Remove the dish from the larger pan to a wire rack and cool for about 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight.
- To unmold, run a knife around edges and invert onto a large rimmed serving platter. Cut into wedges or spoon onto dessert plates, and spoon sauce over each serving.
- Serve and enjoy.