This Coconut- Buttermilk Pound Cake is absolutely delicious! It’s fluffy, tender and full of tasty coconut goodness. The buttermilk glaze and toasted coconut on top of the cake beautifully adds an oomph to the already tasty cake.
Since we will be using toasted coconut, here is how you can toast yours. Place a skillet over medium heat on a stove burner.
When the skillet has heated up, place the coconut in it and stir it around coconut around until the coconut has toasted. Then remove it from the heat and allow to cool before you can use it.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt then set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Add the vanilla, then eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with a little of the buttermilk with each addition and mix until just combined after each addition.
- Using a spatula, fold in 1 ¼ cups of toasted coconut into the batter.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for about 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk. Drizzle over cake and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup coconut.
- Serve and enjoy.
Muriel GardnerNovember 4, 2021 at 12:46 pm
These instruction are so easy to follow. You get a great success every time. You get loads of compliments on your baking. Thank you.