The ingredients used to make this super moist buttermilk vanilla cake are probably lie somewhere on your kitchen shelf. The cake is super moist and filled with flavor.
Start your recipe by preheating the oven to 350F and preparing your baking tin (grease and line with parchment paper). In a mixing bowl, sift in 2 cups of all-purpose baking flour, add ¾ tsp of salt and 2 ¼ tsp of baking powder. Whisk up to mix the dry ingredients and set aside.
In a stand mixer bowl, add 3 cups of butter (at room temperature) and cream the butter so that it becomes smooth, add 1⅔ cups of granulated sugar while mixing and increase the speed to high until the cream is nice and slightly fluffy. Mix for about 3 minutes. Once it is slightly fluffy, add 3 eggs, one at a time, and let the egg incorporate before you add another one.
Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence to the mixture, this will give the cake a sweet vanilla flavor. Reduce speed to low and add the flour in three batches alternating with the buttermilk. Once almost combined, remove the whisk attachment and fold in any remaining butter/flour using a spatula. Repeat and mix it until it’s almost combined then use a spatula to bring everything together.
If you overmix your batter the cake will collapse once out of the oven and become gummy and tough. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 to 45 minutes.
Once the cake is baked, you can serve it with cream or plain, dusted with powdered sugar. Enjoy.
- 2½ cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- 2¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1⅔ cups (333g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla (15mL)
- 1 cup (240mL) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350F and line your baking pan with parchment paper and butter the sides. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl, then whisk together and set aside.
- Cream the butter in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or an electric hand mixer. Add the sugar and beat on high for 3-4 minutes, scraping the bowl down as needed.
- Add the vanilla, then eggs one at a time while mixing on medium speed, then scrape the bowl down and mix in high for a minute.
- Reduce speed to low and add the flour in three batches alternating with the buttermilk. Once almost combined, remove the whisk attachment and fold in any remaining butter/flour using a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin/pan then bake at 350F for about 40 to 45 minutes or until the edges pull away from the pan, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for about two minutes, then invert layers onto a cooling rack and let it cool completely before serving.