This recipe is a favorite of mine, and might just woo you over as well. The freshly baked bread and creamy chicken goodness combine so well to leave you with an incredibly tasty treat.
This bread is perfect for tea parties and the braided pattern on your bread is sure to impress your loved ones.
I enjoy mine with ketchup, but you can serve it with any condiment of your liking.
For the dough:
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. castor sugar
- 1 tbsp. instant yeast
- 4 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg (and 1 for glazing)
- 2 tbsp. powdered milk (optional)
- ¼ tsp baking powder (to reduce any yeasty smell)
For the chicken filling:
- 1 ½ – 2 cups chicken boiled and shredded
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 green chilies, chopped
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. coriander leaves
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- sesame seeds as required
For the Chicken Filling:
- Heat 2 tbsp. butter fry onion till soft then add the flour, garam masala, salt and black pepper.
- Add the milk, cook until it thickens.
- Then add in the shredded chicken, chopped green chilies and coriander leaves.
- Remove from the stove and allow to cool completely.
For the Dough:
In a bowl mix together the flour, salt, castor sugar, milk powder, yeast, baking powder, oil and 1 egg then knead to a medium soft dough with slightly warm water.
Allow to rise for 1 hour.
Divide the dough into two or three parts depending on how big you want the loaves.
Roll the dough into a rectangular shape, put your cooled chicken filling in the middle of the rectangle and cut diagonal slits on the longer sides of the rectangle.
Then fold each side so they overlap each other, like a braid. (If the filling shows slightly its ok). Refer to the picture below to see the method.
Repeat the above two steps for the second dough ball.
Brush the top with beaten egg, sprinkle some sesame seeds and bake at 200 degrees C for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Right after taking out of the oven apply butter well on whole bread and let it rest covered with a cloth for 2-3 min to soften the bread completely.
Serve and enjoy.