This cake is super-moist, super-delicious and the perfect breakfast treat for your loved ones. It’s loaded with fresh, juicy blueberries, but you can still use frozen blueberries, just be sure not to thaw them out.
You can enjoy this cake as is, or simply top it with a little powdered sugar before serving.
- 370 grams cake flour
- 340 grams granulated sugar
- 2 cups (296 g) blueberries
- 226 grams unsalted butter
- 230ml buttermilk
- 85ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F/177° C.
- Grease two 8 inch cake pans and line them with parchment paper, then set aside.
- Place half of the buttermilk in a separate measuring cup then add oil to it and set aside.
- To the remaining milk, add your eggs, lemon extract, lemon juice and lemon zest and gently whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Turn the mixer onto the slowest speed then slowly add chunks of softened butter until it is all added then let everything mix until it looks like coarse sand.
- Then add in the milk/oil mixture all at once to the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes to develop the structure.
- Gradually add in the rest of the liquid ingredients in 3 additions, stopping to scrape the bowl one more time halfway through.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pans till ½ full. Give the pan a little tap on each side to level out the batter and get rid of any air bubbles.
- Clean the berries (if they are fresh) and toss in flour. If berries are frozen skip washing and just toss in flour. Sprinkle half the blueberries on top of your batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes then sprinkle in the second half of your blueberries on top of the cake.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with a few crumbs.
- Remove cakes from the oven and give them a tap on the countertop to release air and prevent too much shrinking. Allow to cool before slicing.
- Serve and enjoy.