This Banana Cake with a Salted Caramel Frosting is a treat that all your loved ones will thoroughly enjoy.
Its prepared when two layers of a delicious banana cake are topped with a sweet and salty caramel sauce, an amazing caramel frosting and then topped with crunchy walnuts/pecans and sweet banana slices.
For the perfect banana cake to use, my widely loved banana cake recipe is a hit every single time!
For the Caramel sauce:
- ¼ cup (56g) unsalted butter, diced into cubes
- 1 cup (210g) granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (160ml) heavy cream
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ tsp Morton Fine Sea Salt
- 2 pinches Morton Coarse Sea Salt, for topping
For the Frosting:
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter
- 3 cups (390g) (360g) powdered sugar
- ½ cup caramel sauce (from above)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, diced, for topping (optional)
- ½ cup chopped pecans/walnuts, for garnish (optional)
- Semi-sweet chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
1.Start with preparing the banana cake as directed and set aside to cool completely.
2.To make the caramel sauce:
- In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, water and sea salt then set over medium-high heat and whisk constantly until it begins to boil, then allow mixture to boil until it turns to a rich amber color.
- Using a long handled whisk, immediately mix in the butter then remove from heat and whisk in the cream.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes then pour into a glass bowl or jar and chill until completely cooled.
3.For the frosting:
- Whip the butter until light and fluffy.
- Then add in the powdered sugar, ½ cup of the cooled caramel sauce, sea salt and vanilla and mix until well combined and slightly fluffy. You can chill until it becomes a more firm consistency if needed.
4.To assemble cake:
- Spread about half of the frosting over first layer of cake then drizzle and spread a fair spoonful of the caramel sauce over the frosting. Then top with the second layer of cake and add the remaining frosting.
- Right before serving top with the bananas and nuts, then drizzle over the remaining caramel sauce, sprinkle with shaved chocolate and coarse sea salt.
5.Serve and enjoy.
Valarie KlosowskiAugust 14, 2020 at 4:19 pm
It looks soooooo good. I wish I could taste it.