This basic yellow sponge cake is moist and has a light and fluffy crumb that makes it amazing on its own.
This recipe will give you ideas on how you can make a sponge cake with just 3 ingredients. This cake is mostly used for layered cakes.
- 5 large eggs eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, add 5 eggs then whip the eggs on low speed for about 1 minute. Add sugar in two additions while whipping in between until the sugar is dissolved in the egg mixture.
- Whip until light, fluffy, and doubled in size for about 8 minutes after adding the second batch of the sugar.
- After beating the eggs and sugar really well, sift in one cup of all-purpose flour and fold gently with a spatula. (This is the point that you want to be very careful with this batter because the eggs are what will give this cake its tender structure.)
- If you are aggressive with folding the batter you will break the structure formed by the eggs and will have a hard cake that will not rise well when baked. You want to fold it just until the flour is moistened and there are no lumps in the batter.
- Gently pour the batter in a round or square cake pan that is lightly greased then lined with parchment paper. Place the pan with the cake batter over a large tray then add hot water to the large tray.
- Bake the cake in a preheated 320 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 60 to 70 minutes.
- The water bath is very important because it will help the cake bake evenly from the inside out. Once the cake is baked, remove the cake from the oven and remove the parchment paper while hot then place it on a wire rack and let it cool completely before serving it.
- Dust it with powdered sugar or top the cake with cream and serve.